When The Night Comes is a queer, narrative-driven, supernatural visual novel that was first released in October of this year. Partially spoken characters, new artwork, a codex, and an updated user interface are all included in the latest edition of the game. The game is rated M for its use of strong language, violence, and sexually explicit material.
Play as a famous Hunter, a beast slayer sent to Lunaris’ calm, odd small village to aid the local Enforcers in their investigation into a string of unnerving and mysterious supernatural killings. As you carefully discover the dark story that lies deep below the roots of the town, immerse yourself in the world of witches, vampires, demons, and Lycans. Is it true that the monsters of the night are the ones you should be terrified of? You can even fall in love with someone you shouldn’t.
There are six solo romances and two polyamorous romances in this collection (Finn & Ezra and Omen & Alkar). August is non-binary and uses the pronouns they/them Because our plot is sequential, after you’ve chosen a relationship, you’ll still be able to engage with the rest of the group! The game will not penalize you if you choose non-intimate alternatives.
When the Night Comes features six love interests (three male, one female, and one non-binary): Finn, a vampire and local clan leader; Ezra, a witch and healer who runs a shop in town; Piper, a recently disgraced Hunter; Omen, a friendly demon; August, the protagonist’s Enforcer and a witch; and finally, Alkar, a lycan hybrid.
The fact that players may pursue poly romances in addition to the regular single romance possibilities is possibly the most exciting feature of the game. For those unfamiliar with poly romance, it simply means that you may love numerous characters at the same time, in this example, Ezra and Finn, as well as Alkar and Omen.
Poly romances are uncommon in games, thus this is a great addition to the game; nevertheless, I was unhappy that Piper and August do not have poly romances. However, I like having female and non-binary love partners (Piper and August, respectively) as choices.
- There are 11 chapters with a total of 490,000+ words.
- There are six individual romances and two polyamorous couplings.
- 60+ beautifully detailed collectible illustrations
- Codex articles including character backstories, lore, and other information
- The use of pronouns and the presence of a fully LGBTQ+ cast are important considerations.
- The decision to play without seeking a romantic relationship
- With almost 2,000 spoken lines, the game is partially voiced.
- After completing the main game, you will be able to access three post-game DLCs.
- There is a total of almost 80 hours of potential playtime across all of the conceivable pathways.
- There are many possible outcomes, both good and harmful.